Online Databases for Kids
Arizona Author Dianne White's Top Ten Picture Books Recommendations
In her interview with the Arizona Republic, Dianne White says children need to see the adults in their lives reading. If we want children to read they need to see it happening around them (Morrison, K, 2015). Dianne is a celebrated picture book author, poetry lover and teacher living in Gilbert, AZ. Here are her top ten picture books recommendations.
Morrison, K. 15 Feb. 2015, Rythum and “Blue”: Writer uses poetry to teach kids. Arizona Republic
Great websites to check out!
CBeebies - http://www.cbeebies.com/lat-am/
Classics for Kids - http://www.classicsforkids.com/
Kids in the House - http://kids.clerk.house.gov/
Learn. Genetics - http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/
Learn. Genetics en Español - http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/es/
Nourish Interactive in Spanish - http://es.nourishinteractive.com/kids
Sparky the Fire Dog – http://www.sparky.org/
Top 10 Kids Books Turned into Movies
Here is a list of "Top 10 Kids Books Turned into Movies" by Barbara Vandenburgh. Article featured in the Arizona Republic on Thursday, August 21, 2014, page D5.
Summer Reading Program Activity
e-Books for e-Kids
Hey, Kids! Check out this list of the 25 top-selling kids' books
1. The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring Lowrey (Golden, 1942) 14,898,341
2. The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter (Frederick Warne, 1902) 9,380,274
3. Tootle by Gertrude Crampton (Golden, 1945) 8,560,277
4. Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss (Random House, 1960) 8,143,088
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling (Scholastic/Levine, 2000) 7,913,765
6. Pat the Bunny by Dorothy Kunhardt (Golden, 1940) 7,562,710
7. Saggy Baggy Elephant by Kathryn and Byron Jackson (Golden, 1947) 7,476,395
8. Scuffy the Tugboat by Gertrude Crampton (Golden, 1955) 7,366,073
9. The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss (Random House, 1957) 7,220,982
10. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling (Scholastic/Levine, 1999) 6,335,585
11. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling (Scholastic/ Levine, 1999) 6,314,391
12. Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein (HarperCollins, 1974) 6,228,042
13. One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss (Random House, 1960) 6,164,454
14. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein (HarperCollins, 1964) 5,603,187
15. The Littlest Angel by Charles Tazewell (Children's Press/Ideals, 1946) 5,471,709
16. Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss (Random House, 1963) 5,420,890
17. Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss (Random House, 1990) 5,353,426
18. Dr. Seuss's ABC by Dr. Seuss (Random House, 1960) 5,187,656
19. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling (Scholastic/Levine, 1998) 5,087,304
20. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (Philomel, 1969) 4,849,704
21. The Children's Bible (Golden, 1965) 4,281,314
22. A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein (HarperCollins, 1981) 4,269,048
23. The Tale of Benjamin Bunny by Beatrix Potter (Frederick Warne, 1904) 4,163,244
24. Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman (Random House, 1960) 4,135,762
25. The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister (North-South, 1992) 4,082,500
Rainbow Fish, by Marcus Pfister
Ranger Rick Adventures and Stories
TumbleBooks in Spanish
Funbrain Jr. ("A Fun Place to Learn") helps preschoolers and kindergarteners jumpstart their journey of learning with engaging games, stories and printables. Kids love playing and learning with Funbrain Jr., and you'll love that they're building math, early literacy and problem solving skills, while also developing important computer skills. Come discover this world - sit together and play, or let your little learner explore Funbrain Jr. independently - it's up to you!
"Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!'
Top 10 Boardbooks Purchased in 2013
1. Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book by Rod Campbell
2. Open the Barn Door by Christopher Santoro
3. Moo Baa La La La by Sandra Boynton
4. Peek-A Who? by Nina Laden
5. Where Is Baby’s Belly Button? A Lift-the-Flap Book by Karen Katz
6. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
7. My Big Animal Book by Roger Priddy
8. Doggies by Sandra Boynton
9. The Going-To-Bed Book by Sandra Boynton
10. Barnyard Dance! by Sandra Boynton
Suggestions for eBooks
The Berenstain Bears by Jan & Stan Berenstain
Charming stories geared to pre-schoolers with wonderful illustrations. Each book holds a lesson so they are educational as well! "Storytime Treasury", "The Big Book of Science and Nature", and "Soccer Star" are just a few of the Bear's adventures that are available for reading right now!
The Year of the Book by Andrea Cheng
Lets readers into the life of Anna, an intelligent fourth grader who does not hang out with the "popular" crowd, is embarrassed by her Chinese mother who does not speak English, and tries to bury her concerns by keeping her nose in books such as "A Wrinkle In Time" and "My Side of The Mountain" at all times. She eventually learns that she can't read about how to make friends. (Ages 6-9)
"This novel is a treasure to share with every middle- grade reader you know" -The New York Times
"Readers are left to discover the extraordinary within the ordinary, and to witness how kindness can draw trust and create confidence in the hesitant child"
- School Library Journal
Theodosia and The Serpents of Chaos by R.L. LaFevers
The story is a part of a series available on Freading. Theodosia is the clever, spirited daughter of an often absent archaeologist and a career obsessed museum worker. She spends most of her time in the museum where he father works and has her own room there. In this installment, her mother brings home an important and cursed artifact from a dig, and Theodosia finds herself in the middle of a mystery. (ages 9-12)
"A combination of Nancy Drew and Indiana Jones"
-School Library Journal"
Caught Reading in the Library!
62 Magical Facts About . . .Harry Potter
Harry Potter's birthday is July 31, the same day as his creator, J.K. Rowling. Click here for those 62 magical facts about the series.
Electronic-only Poetry Anthology For Kids at Amazon & Barnes & Noble
Sylvia Vardel, Texas Woman's University, Denton, Texas, and poet Janet Wong, have compiled the first ever, electronic-only poetry anthology featuring top poets for children (ages birth-8). PoetryTagTime, available from Amazon and Barnes and Noble, for 99 cents, is a collection of 30 new, unpublished poems, ranging from the humorous to serious, about tongues, turtles, and toenails, in acrostics, quatrains, and free verse, written by 30 of the best children's poets. Top talents such as Jack Prelutsky, Joyce Sidman, Carole Boston Weatherford, and Pat Mora, took part in an inventive game of tag, culminating in this collection of connected poems. In the creation of PoetryTagTime, each poet "tagged" another poet and explained how her/his poem connects with a previous poet's offering, in a chain of poets, poems, and play. For more information, visit http://poetrytagtime.com.
Whyville is a virtual world where boys and girls from all over the real world come to chat, play, learn, and have fun together. You design your face, earn clams by playing games, hang out at the beach, and go to town events at the Greek Theater. You can start your own business, buy a car and give your friends a ride, or write for the town newspaper.
HERE ARE SOME COOL WEBSITES TO HELP WITH HOMEWORK...AND JUST FOR FUN!
A news magazine for children, this site covers current events and sports, and it offers challenging games.
An online educational magazine with content geared to different grade levels.
National Geographic World
National Geographic's online magazine for children with articles, cartoons, and games.
This on-line version of a popular children's magazine offers homework help, articles and activities.
Cricket Magazine Group!
Website for the Cricket Magazine Group that includes: Cricket, Spider, Ladybug and Babybug.
For children in grades 4-8, this electronic magazine explores environmental education.
Hoodamath.com Hooda Math is all about making math fun. Visit the games page to play math games which help reinforce math concepts. Watch a tutorial to learn math concepts.
Familyfun.com- From Family Fun magazine...lots of crafts and holiday ideas.
pbskids.org- PBS site for kids that includes learning games, paint box, and links to PBS shows.
Yahoo internet games- Links to internet interactive games.
storyplace.org/storyplace.asp-StoryPlace, is an interactive website providing children with the virtual experience of going to a library. StoryPlace currently consists of two libraries, the Preschool Library and the Elementary Library.
Best History Websites- History portal created for students, educators, and history enthusiasts
CNNfyi.com- CNN site for students and teachers with lots of homework resources and current events program support.
History Net- Historical information and access to history related online publications
Presidents of the U.S.- Resource on U.S. Presidents created by Internet Public Library
Stately Knowledge- Information about each of the 50 states, facts, and historical dates
Time for Kids- News magazine for children covering current events and sports.
Ask Dr. Universe- From Washington State University...answers questions on many topics.
Ask Jeeves for Kids- Search engine that uses natural language algorithms. Also searches Yahooligans and Education World.
Awesome Library- Over 17, 000 on-line resources organized by topic in 5 languages.
Fact Monster- Almanac, dictionary, and encyclopedia from Information Please Almanac
High School Ace- Detailed reference collection with monthly features.
Homework Spot- Links by subject for all ages.
Yahooligans.com- Yahoo for 8 - 14 year olds.
Zoom School- On line classroom.
Allmath.com- For elementary and middle school...flash cards, metric conversion, multiplication tables, etc.
READING AND WRITING
Bookhive.org- Great lists of books of all genres
Children's Book Council
Funbrain.com- Spelling games for elementary children
Kidsreads.com- Reading suggestions, games, and activities
Enchanted Learning- Information about animals and habitat
Madsci.org- Ask a scientist archives for elementary age
National Geographic World- Web resources for science experiments
Your Science Fair Project Guide- Web resources for science experiments